29 February 2024 · Our Customers

Grow your Business with a Light Rigid Licence.

Hero Image

The light way to grow your business. 

One of the hardest things for any business owner is growing their operation quickly and affordably. While light-duty vehicles are great for those starting out in the transport industry, running a commercial vehicle on a car licence means drivers are restricted to a GVM of 4.5 tonnes.

By upgrading to a Light Rigid Licence, your payload almost doubles with a maximum GVM of 8 tonnes. Acquiring a Light Rigid Licence in Australia requires commitment and dedication; however, the rewards reaped can be substantial to the overall growth and advancement in your career and business.

What’s a Light Rigid Licence?

We’re glad you asked. According to the NSW government website, a Light Rigid (LR) licence allows you to operate:

- Rigid vehicles with a GVM over 4.5 tonnes (max limit on a car licence) to 8 tonnes. If you’re towing a trailer, it mustn’t weigh more than 9 tonnes GVM.
- Vehicles weighing up to 8 tonnes GVM that can carry more than 12 adults including the driver.
- Vehicles with no restrictions on the number of axles.
- Any vehicle covered by a C (car) licence, but not motorcycles or scooters.

By obtaining your Light Rigid licence, you’re increasing the load capacity you can carry by almost double, which opens your business up to a wider variety of companies who may have been previously out of reach due to capacity limitations.

Another potential benefit of operating a light rigid vehicle is reduced operating costs. Because a Light Rigid licence can carry almost twice the load capacity as a light-duty vehicle, you may only need one truck.

If you’ve grown use to driving a light-duty truck, then why not consider our 300 Series 921 model among your top choices when upgrading your licence? Equipped with all the safety features you have come to know and love in the Hino 300 Series; our 921 model delivers class-leading torque and power through our J05E engines, producing 250hp and 600Nm to effortlessly haul heavier loads without compromising efficiency.

How do you get a Light Rigid Licence?

Now we come to the crux of the matter. How do you get a Light Rigid licence?

Each state has its own rules and requirements for obtaining your LR licence. In NSW, you need to meet the following criteria to apply:

- Held a class C licence (excluding a learner licence) or equivalent for 1 year or more.
- Pass the Heavy Vehicle Knowledge Test (you’re welcome).
- Pass an eyesight test.
- Successfully complete the Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA) or pass a heavy vehicle driving test.

To help you upgrade your licence, we’ve linked the relevant pages for each state below for you to check when you have the time:

QLD    NSW    ACT    VIC    TAS    SA    WA    NT

So, how much will it cost you to upgrade your licence? That will depend on your training provider and state fees. We did find a trainer in NSW offering courses to obtain an LR licence for around $770.

We strongly advise that you research customer reviews for a well-rounded perspective on your potential instructor.

Still not convinced?

Let’s take a quick look at the risks of skipping out on that Light Rigid Licence. Operating a vehicle weighing more than 4.5 tonnes without the proper certification can result in serious legal repercussions such as fines and potential suspension of driving privileges. But the ramifications won’t stop there… Failure to meet legal compliance may render your insurance coverage ineligible and jeopardise both your personal reputation and the professional image of your business as negligent or unsafe. Investing in a Light Rigid Licence can therefore ensure safe, legitimate driving practices and successful career advancement for you and your business.

If you’re looking to take that next step to expanding your business by upgrading your truck, drop in for a chat with your local Hino dealer. We’ll help you work out the best light rigid vehicle for your needs.